Monday, December 20, 2010

UHU

Uhu means owl  and it's been there all those years. Shame on me. 
The word uhu means owl in German and the popular adhesive brand UHU has been using this word to sell its products worldwide. I noticed this only a few days ago. Although millions of people in Turkey -including me -  have been using UHU for decades, I am hundred per cent sure that no more than 1 out of 1000 people has ever wondered what the word itself means. It's just lack of curiosity. I felt so embarrassed when I realised I spent years so uninterested about something I'm so familiar with. Well, then I wondered why the company owners chose to name their branded products after an owl. I do not have the faintest idea. Have you got any idea?
   
UHU products have always been in yellow and black tubes in many different shapes. 
UHU has become the by-word for any adhesives in Turkey. The word UHU has been widely used by everyone there for years to describe, point at or ask for 'glue'. When you say, for example, "Have you got any glue?", you would probably hear someone around replying "Glue? (with a confused expression on their face) I've got UHU. It works, want some?". People have definitely stretched the meaning to fit different contexts where any gluing is needed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment