Friday, December 27, 2013

Spinach Pie with Feta



This colorful art illustration is from a 1969 publication. 

I simply love greens. 

They are green first of all. They make you feel you still hold the personal direct contact with the nature. I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I'm even planning to grow some more greens in the garden next summer. Considering how comfortable and peaceful they make me feel, I should definitely start to spend much more time with them. 

Spinach is one of them. It's not my favourite but it's the one I happen to buy whenever I see some greens in the market place. Well, the last time I bought some, I tried to use it in such a way to make it look as friendly as it seems to me. Making a spinach-cheese pie sounded great and soon I found myself layering phyllos one after another. 

Everybody at home loved the pie accompanying it with some sour cream! The spinach got juicy and the phyllos got moist when cooked with the sauce! Yummy! Easy to make, easy to eat! It might work well as a quick dinner recipe along with a tomato salad! Bon appetite! 



Ingredients:

500 g spinach
1 kg yufka/phyllo

1 medium egg
1,5 cups milk

3/4 cup vegetable oil

salt and black pepper
250 g feta, crushed 

Directions:

Step 1: Prep the spinach

De-rib the spinach, wash well, and let it drain on a kitchen towel (or some paper towels) for a few minutes, so that there’s no excess water on the leaves. Coarsely chop it, and set aside. Season it with salt and pepper. 


Step 2: Prep the sauce

Break the egg to medium bowl and add the milk and vegetable oil. Whisk until mixed well.


Step 3: Assemble the pie

Place a layer of sauce in a lightly greased ovenproof dish followed up by a layer of phyllo. Spread some spinach over the phyllo. After using half of the phyllos, spread the feta equally all over the layer. Repeat layering until all the sauce, spinach and phyllo have been used up. Finish with the sauce on top. 


Step 4: Bake the Pie

Bake for about 30 minutes at 180 C until the top is golden.




No comments:

Post a Comment